Thursday, July 3, 2008

Adieu, mine spider.

I will confess to the most blatantly mediocre parenting in my arsenal...tonight, we are finally taking away the Pacifier (affectionately called Spider). Yes, he's nearly 3 and we're just quitting now.


If I tell you there isn't a bit of heartache in it for us I'd be lying. Though we only use it for overnights and naps these days, we've come to rely on and love our spider. How could we not? It was the automatic off switch we so desperately needed. It got us through hours of plane, train and automobile travel over thousands of miles. It's given him (and us) many a sound night's sleep. And so, tonight I raise a glass to the Spider. Goodbye, old friend. You gave us peace and we will miss you so.





4 comments:

Heather B. said...

Hey, it's okay. I had my "binky" until I was well into my third year and I turned out just fine...except for that minor twitch:-). We were lucky enough to have the dentist say,"No more binkys" to Emma on her last visit so I ran with it. "Sorry Honey, not my fault. Dr. Po said,"No more binkys". She did fine.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I breast fed until I was four. Only losing the spider after three years? My mother laughs at the mediocrity of your mediocre parenting. Give him another year, and insert boob instead of binky, and then we'll talk about who's more mediocre.

Anonymous said...

P.S. What's with breaking the long-standing MM tradition of not showing faces in your blog photos? Your readers who thought you guys were in the federal witness protection plan will be very disappointed.

Amy B. said...

Well, I figured that I had my eyes closed and the Kid's face was partially cut off and partially blocked by his Spider.

Truthfully, I couldn't find a more appropriate photo to express my love and bliss when it comes to the Spider.

--MM