Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Story of Vodka.


Ah, yes, kids do say the darnedest things. Which is why the Deviant Dad and I went cross eyed the other day when Captain Kid delightfully requested "Vodka Singing, pease!" It quickly dawned on us he was requesting "Hanukkah singing." So now we delightfully regale him in rousing choruses of "Oh Hanukkah" or "Oh Vodka," if you will, over and over again.

Hanukkah starts next week and we've been furiously buying small items to delight and disappoint him. But naturally, all he's really interested in is the "kismass ites" that line our street. And so I find myself in new territory. I've been living in this town for nearly 10 years and I have never had to ponder the lessons I might have to teach and the disappointment that may lay ahead. Because in truth I grew up in a very Jewish neighborhood, where Christmas lights we're generally met with indifference or some yente exclaiming, "Oy, how tacky."

But now, with the realization of the Captain being the outsider ahead of us, it brings up the larger question to me of how to infuse religion and culture into his life when the competition has really pretty lights, trees and costumes and, let's face it, much catchier songs. The reality that lies ahead is that learning through peer osmosis will simply not be an option. And then the more harsh responsibilities, like how to broach the subject of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, will have to be infused with a degree of diplomacy and tact. .

I'm not going to sugarcoat this thing...Christmas is a load of fun. As probably the only Jew who was at the Vatican on Christmas day last year, I'll admit, yeah, I get a little Christmas spirit. And save last year, we have a long-standing tradition of hanging with the Captain's godparents on Christmas Day and they put on a hell of a show. But I have to ask myself...what's my bottom line? As much as I'd love to say that a fun light-up menorah is just as rockin' as a string of twinkly lights....really, who am I kidding?

Sigh. If only some of these favorite television Hanukkah characters would come along and explain it all to the Kid, life would be a lot easier...






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friends Season 7 - I can lend you the DVD so Captain can hear the story of the Macabees told by the Holiday Armadillo =) That's a classic.

Anonymous said...

Are you opposed to putting up non-Christmas-specific lights, such as icicles on the roof edge, Stars of David hanging in the trees, lit Menorahs in windows, etc., or is it all about the animatronic reindeer, inflatable penguins sitting on igloos, etc. with the little guy? Thanks for the new pictures on SmugMug. Nice race car bed.

Amy B. said...

Justin's Mom - My favorite part of the story is when Superman swooped in and saved the Macabees.

Bobby B - We do put out a tacky light-up menorah and we will probably put up fairy lights on our porch, not necessarily a Christmas thang, just something we tend to put up for partays. Maybe it was more of an upbringing thing; Jewish families that kept Christmas trees in my neighborhood were definitely looked down upon. We didn't stone them or anything, but there was lots of whisperings and phrases uttered like "oy gevalt."

Hey, when does your lady pop?

--MM

Anonymous said...

Amy B.: The Armadillo was actually not so thrilled about that part!

Anonymous said...

Heather's being induced tomorrow morning.

Anonymous said...

http://nancykayshapiro.livejournal.com/35633.html?thread=54321

Just to help you celebrate the holiday.