Thursday, January 10, 2008

Business casual.

Tomorrow a good friend is driving me to my office to play a little catch-up and bring some work home that I can do horizontally (no, not that kind of work, I don't think I'll be doing that kind of horizontal work for some time). I'm a consultant and the work environment is fairly casual, but not so casual that I can wear the drawstring sweats I've been living in for the last month. I can wear nice jeans to work, but my doctor reprimanded me for wearing them when last I saw him; my incision is exactly at waistband level.

So until I'm all healed I'm somewhat at a loss for what to do with my wardrobe. Apparently, they do not make drawstring business casual slacks or jeans. And as for wearing a skirt...well, with the Deviant Dad as my designated leg shaver let's just say I'm not eager to show off my legs (not to mention the big orthopedic shoes I'm sporting these days). So all of this has led me to the dark place. Yes, I'm hitting the maternity clothes.

There is something vaguely demoralizing about throwing maternity clothes back on again. I remember about 4 weeks after I had the Captain I pulled out my most comfy maternity t-shirt, contemplated putting it on, and had to say enough is enough. But this back surgery has led me into fashion depths that I have not previously known. Even when I was pregnant I was wearing shoes that were somewhat uncomfortable and likely inappropriate. I have walked miles in heels (probably how I got myself in this mess to begin with) and worn wool in the spring. Yes, my fashion owns me and I love it.

At the moment, however, my options are few. I concede that I don't want to invest in a pair of pants for the sole purpose of waiting for my incision to close up. Of course I worry, too, that by just throwing on maternity clothes I'm tempting myself down the dark path once again. I have too many friends that are pregnant or trying to conceive for me to take just a nibble without desiring the entire cake. Let's just say it's a good thing I'll be laid up for so long. And in all likelihood any temptation will be quashed by a few more bad episodes with the Captain. At least for the time being.

4 comments:

Haggis said...

Ach, I dunno - there's something quite liberating about a nice pair of stretchy maternity pants. I dread the day I'll have to go back to my old wardrobe, for fear that nothing will fit (ever again).
Being pregnant is every woman's excuse for comfy clothes and shoes. Pity we don't follow this unfashionable policy when we aren't.... Good luck with your recovery! Any excuse to buy new clothes sounds good to me...

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you're not pimping out your kid to politicians. He may be able to flirt already, but at least he's not a Monica Lewinsky in training. Check this out: http://slate.com/id/2181495/?GT1=10837.

Amy B. said...

Anonymous -

That's gotta be one greasy baby after all that.

Note to all my sailing pals, anyone else think Bill Richardson looks disturbingly like Dennis Conner?

--MM

Mary said...

hope you are feeling better soon! I left you a message on webmd about dog puke. :P