Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dog food.


One of the tougher aspects of back surgery is that when you drop shit it just has to sit on the floor until someone comes home to pick it up. As I type this I await the return of my husband so that he can get the lid from the jam, which is now sitting butter side down on the kitchen floor.

This has caused the greatest consternation for me since on bed rest, namely that I would manage to drop something rather important (such as a percocet) and the Dog or Captain might happen upon it before I was able to have the Deviant Dad collect the offending item. In most instances I've kicked the matter to the side of the room or under the kitchen cabinet so as to avoid any mishaps.

Then there was the other thought, which was what if something important fell on the floor that I couldn't just kick under the counter. And that is just what happened yesterday when the dog walked to the middle of the room and started wretching. My first instinct was to chase her off the rug and my second instinct was to chase her into the garage, where she stayed until the Dad got home. But I was left with the more pressing problem, namely, a pile of dog puke in my living room. Talk about helpless.

I did all that I could do, which in this case involved dropping paper towels over the nastiness. In truth, it was sort of a fun little game. But it was a few more hours until the Dad returned from work, which meant that I had to live with a pile of this stuff in my living room until his return.

Since being on bed rest I've become acquainted with all manner of handicapped accouterments, but as it happens they do not have a device for cleaning up puke. Where in the hell is Ron Popeil when you need him?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a second dog to clean up when the other one makes a mess on the floor. Other than that, how about a shop vac?

Sorry that the wife hasn't returned your call. When she's not trying to keep the baby from screaming, or keeping the middle child from raiding the fridge, or helping the first-born with homework, she's trying to rest up for when she has to return to doing those three activities (and that's just before I get home and need my dinner, my drink, and my you-know-what). On the bright side, we might put Emma in a church pre-school for a couple days a week in the Fall. So, you should be hearing from Heather in about 7 months.