Friday, June 1, 2007

Crash test dummy.

I don't get what the big deal is about being diapered. I mean, he knows he's uncomfortable, he asks to be changed. So why is it that the Captain can struggle so hard that he and the changing pad nearly went careening off the table today?


From the tender age of about, oh, 3 weeks, we've been forced to use the safety straps on the changing pad. As evidenced by other tales of his restlessness, clearly this kid doesn't like to sit still for much of anything. So I'm not quite sure how this happened but it somehow involved pushing his foot off the wall whilst I held his other foot for changing him and thank goodness I was holding it because the next second he's just dangling there by his foot. It begs the question...is it illegal to duct tape a toddler to a changing table? It made me ponder the possibilities...








It also presents another issue. Should I lug his changing pad with me around Spain and France over the next month? Diapering him freestyle is nearly impossible and requires the power of 2. We are driving, so it's not out of the question. But it is bulky and a pain in the arse to pack. Our latest travel plans have changed and now we're flying back from Seville to Valencia (saving us about 8 hours of driving - yipee), but I don't know that I have room in the luggage and I really hate to pitch it on the way home because it cost us $40. Not to mention there does come a time where you have to say enough is enough on crap you lug with you. Right now our packing list for the Captain looks like this:



  • 1 pack n play


  • 1 bath seat (because it's like giving a bath to a cat otherwise)


  • clothes


  • regular diapers and wipes


  • swim gear (including swim diapers, floaties and additional floatation devices)


  • beach accouterments (pale, shovel and whatnot)


  • books


  • toys (soft ones that he can't make too much trouble with, so therefore they are plusher and bigger than regular toys)


  • baby pillow


  • baby blankets


  • stroller


  • folding highchair (because restaurants don't have their own)


  • harness backpack (why do we even bother?)


  • car seat


All this is fine and good for driving, but I feel like we're pushing that 20 kilo limit for air travel hard and fast. If I were back in the states I probably wouldn't be pushing it with everything I'm bringing, but I (a) don't want to pay to use a travel crib at 10 euros a night in some places and (b) don't want to rely that their equipment is in good condition, what with our experiences on various sleeping deathtraps throughout Italy. See my Top Ten list for a brief refresher.


Yes, I realize this all seems rather "alpha mom" of me, but my hands are tied. This is why I had a fabulous idea months ago about a baby supply rental place that will never come to fruition because I'm too much of a slacker to get off my ass and start a company. Maybe the more practical idea would be to bring all the baby stuff and ship the baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you'll both be on the trip, why don't you just leave it behind and count on always using both parents for each changing? Consider it payback for Deviant Dad for all those long hours he worked that he'll now get to help out with every single dirty diaper for a month. In future, you might consider a less bulky, more portable changing "pad," like a piece of plywood and a ratchet-type or bungee tie-down. I'm sure my wife would disagree, but I would wholeheartedly support the use of duct tape (to the hood of the car, the floor of your domaine) to secure the child during changings.

Anonymous said...

I agree, ditch the changing pad. Also, do you need the swim diapers? What do the euros do? If they all use them too, then you can buy them as you go along. If no one else uses them, then skip it. Cut the toys to minimum, and I'd think twice about the bath seat too. The daily bath is a very modern invention. It probably won't kill him to be unbathed, if you can't get it done without the bath seat. Just use a washcloth and soap, then rinse him off. Sort of like a sponge bath.

DD can also take the kid into the shower with him.

Anonymous said...

Swim diapers: It's probably too late for you to get your hands on any, but we use a reuseable swim diaper with Emma. They're like training pants, but more colorful and less waterproof. They let No. 1 out and keep all but the loosest No. 2 in. A couple pairs of those, which could be washed in your sink if they get shat upon, take up very little room.

Bathing: He'll be swimming in Med water. How much cleaner can you get him than that? Get him a stick of deodorant, and he'll be as good to go as DD was so many times back in school.

Amy B. said...

Thank you both for responding.

Things like swim diapers aren't a real problem because they are disposable and cheap and, therefore, not a problem to leave behind. Remember, we are driving so not a big deal to lug a bit extra in a car, so long as I can ditch it. Really, they're more for the pools than anything (particularly in France where we're staying as a guest in a rented house).

As for the bath seat, I still don't know. First, it collapses flat so it's easy to store in a piece of luggage. Second, we've tried repeatedly to get him to give it up and it just turns dangerous - yesterday he got up in a panic because he was out of his bath seat, slipped and face planted into the side of the tub. We don't bathe him every day, but particularly since it's going to probably be around 100 degrees many days I at least want the option.

Finally, the changing pad. Probably not going to bring it. The biggest problem is generally when we find ourselves desperate to change him where the only option is women's/men's rooms. But the changing pad won't help us in that case anyway because we're not going to lug it around while day tripping.

MM