Monday, April 16, 2007

Mediocrity, my mothering defined.

I think I need to confirm exactly what I mean by "mediocre mama" because my mother read my blog yesterday and gave the input that I don't seem to think very highly of myself. Sigh.

No, I don't think I've done nothing with my life or that I'm a "bad" mother. I just have come to see that in the competitive world of parenting that I am no "model parent" by any Today Show or Parenting Magazine standard. And to be frank, I hate those standards and I hate the judging that we mother's do. So instead of letting others judge me, I choose to judge myself in this blog. This is just a sampling of my parenting faux pas:

(1) I don't take Captain Kid to playgroups or play dates;

(2) I don't tell him to use his "inside voice";

(3) I let him french kiss the dog;

(4) I don't feed him organic anything; and

(5) I watch "Sex and the City" while he's in the room (yes, the unedited version).

I am a mediocre mother because I accept my own standards and choices and those standards and choices of others rather than acting as the parenting po po. I drink wine with him in the room, I let Deviant dangle him upside down, I let him run with scissors. Okay, maybe not the last part. I'm mediocre, not a moron!

My point being that I am not perfect and I am human. I am done with the war on other Moms. I'm sick of feeling embarrassed about Captain Kid running amok when other children sit still. I hope that this blog reaches other mediocre parents and that they too can feel absolved from their transgressions.

2 comments:

mediocre mama's mama said...

Oh my God! French kissingthe dog? Sex in the City? Captain Kid's going to be a PERV!!!!!!

JoMama said...

Hey, my kids watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer with me. They probably think that Vampires rule the night.