Tuesday, April 17, 2007

See where all this gets me?

Today my low key method of parenting seemingly bit me on the arse.

Alright, repeat after me: Glass and marble floors do not mix. Rinse. Repeat.

And so my Venetian glass necklace met said fate today when I didn't wrestle it from Captain Kid quick enough. To be honest, I thought the thing was unbreakable. It's hit the marble floors before. Apparently I wasn't accounting for the fast ball the Captain was throwing when it hit the ground.

What pisses me off is that it is quite literally irreplaceable. Deviant bought it for me as a surprise when we traveled to Venice back in December and it was so meaningful to me. I definitely didn't deserve it because I obviously didn't care enough about it. Really, it's so my fault. I'm obviously not mature enough to own a Venetian glass necklace.

Which brings me to another point of discussion...Venice and strollers do not mix. I was going to save this for another day, but since I'm on a roll and crying in my own glass mess, I should probably tick this one off my list.

Deviant and I took the Captain on a 3 week trip around Italy in December and we learned the hard way about all the steps in Venice. See, I knew there were bridges everywhere, but somehow that didn't scream "big-ass-staircases-to-get-over-the-bridges." So as it turns out, one should have neither children nor a handicap if they are living in Venice. On the plus side, I ate like a pig and didn't gain a pound while I was there. On the negative side, the Captain was hardly able to grab a nap what with the constant up and down on the steps, making for some rather stressful and grumpy meals while we were there.

Alright. That's all for now. Going to spend the rest of his nap scoping the Internet for a suitable replacement necklace. Perhaps I will replace it with a Venetian plastic necklace instead...

4 comments:

Haggis said...

...reminds me of the day I broke one of my chrystal wedding goblets. Ok, I am not a toddler, but I did cry like one. Just goes to show you - objects that can be broken do not deserve to be loved. That's why I am a fan of £4 sunglasses. None of this Oliver Peoples crap!

good luck on ebay!

Amy B. said...

E-mailed from my good friend and worth sharing. Not sure about the ditching travel part, but some sage words nonetheless...

See, what you are forgetting is that this is all part of the evil plot. You fall in love, have great pleasure and then you go to hell. You are forgetting that you are in hell paying for the pleasure you had early on in the relationship. Soon you will not want to travel because of the hassle, then you will get old and fat, then the captain will grow up and not have time for you. You will become psycho-pathic drink heavy and wonder what happenned.

Now that I am so close to the crest of the hill, I can look back at the path I took and completely realize how I got where I am. You will have to begin to worry when the plots in soap operas begin to make sense to you!!!!!!!

You need to contemplate whether it is better to be sane or insane. If you were insane, you would be happy and not care about any of this. It is because you are sane, that these things occupy your mind.

Don't worry about the necklace. The Captain is much more fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-Read-All-The-Books-Type-Mama said...

At least he didn't eat the glass after he broke it. But you did the right thing. One expert said that snatching valuables from your baby teaches him that objects are more important than he is. Better to let him break it than make him cry. Furthermore, he must explore the world, with all its textile stimuli, or his brain will not develop.

Amy B. said...

Bookmama-

I'm not sure that I agree. To me, all he learned is that MM's necklace makes a fabulous cracking noise when he throws it. Also, I'm not sure I see a correlation between throwing my necklace and developing his brain. Perhaps I should give him knives so that he can start developing his career as a knife thrower?

I would, however, let him take one of those parenting guide books and throw that...preferably near a bonfire ;-)

Thanks for the input,

MM