Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Buzzed

It has come to pass that the Captain, in addition to being afraid of doctors, nurses, chiropractors and bearded men, is now also afraid of the barber. He had always been a bit wary, which is both why I waited 3-1/2 months to get him a trim and why we were contemplating getting him an audition for a baby Beatles tribute band…




So when the Dad finally got a day off last week, we decided it was time. We brought him to the local mall, plopped him in the little kid’s haircut seat and then faked my way through the most painful conversation in Spanish that I have ever had.

Just cut it short, I tried to explain in broken Spanish.

The hairdresser was afraid. Suddenly he disappears and pops back with style books.

No no no. He’s a baby, just short, don’t worry about style, I whined in English, all the while noticing the Captain was getting antsy.

This guy must have thought I didn’t like the style, so he brought out another book.

Now the Captain was getting crazed, so I just belt out Cut it Now!

He does. Gets perhaps 3 snips into it when the Captain goes ballistic. I take him on my lap and just keep telling the guy to cut.

So he gets in maybe 4 more snips and the Captain is completely hysterical. Dad and I look at each other, knowing full well what’s inevitable. Dad points at the electric trimmer and that’s how the Captain joined the army.





It does bring up some logistical issues. First of all, the Captain was so hysterical that he couldn't even finish the haircut, so it's sort of like a crew cut with long strands around the edges. Second, the Captain refuses to wear a hat and in this hot Spanish sun I’m not exactly sure how to handle it. I bought a spray on lotion and tried to spray it on his head, but pretty much all it did was stick to his hair, giving him a grayish sort of hue. Third, the bigger problem is that as scared as he was before of the barber, he’s now got barber phobia and I think it will easily be another 6 months before I have the courage to get him in the chair again. The Dad wanted to buy a flowbee, but seeing as how he’s as afraid of the vacuum as he is of the electric trimmer I’m just not sure that it’s a good solution. That and every time I vacuum the floor he’s going to go running the other way. …


Ah well. There's always that baby Beatles tribute band.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

J man hated getting his haircut, too - but we manage to buzz it (with a #3) every 4 weeks and keep it very short. He's getting better with it (after 20 something haircuts). Craig actually does it himself while I dance around the bathroom singing silly kids songs. It's a sight, let me tell ya.

Anonymous said...

Tried any bribes? Lollipop just out of reach until haircut is finished?

Amy B. said...

It's a lovely thought, to be sure. However, one cannot rationalize with the Captain. If I flash candy in front of him during the haircut then he'd be pissed on two fronts: (1) that he's getting his hair cut against his will; and (2) that he's not actively sucking on a lollipop.

Sigh. In answer to your question, yes, we've tried bribes.

MM

Anonymous said...

How about letting him have the lollipop, popsicle, or other favorite treat (sippy cup sangria?), while also letting him watch his favorite movie or TV show, when you attempt to cut his hair? As far as the being afraid of the clippers and vacuum cleaner, how about letting him listen to the TV on some headphones so that the buzz isn't as loud?

Amy B. said...

Ha! I can't get him to wear a hat, let alone headphones! ;-)

I don't think you understand; he's not like your child who dutifully reads books while Mama talks on the telephone. His nickname is "Diablito" - little devil. And let's face it...his dad can't sit still for two seconds either!

MM