Thursday, May 3, 2007

How Mama got her groove back.

It's amazing how you can watch your own sanity slowly dissolve to the size of a pea when you live abroad, have no family to assist you and have a husband who's worked 30 days straight without a weekend. The simplest errand, the most mundane of activities that you count on suddenly come saddled with a 2-1/2 foot noisemaker, batteries included, some assembly required. And since the Captain is clearly cruising on the path to ADHD, I cannot count on him to sit still for a chiropractor appointment, a haircut or even a simple cup of cafe con leche with a friend. It is for this reason that I took decisive action last week while hanging out at the park.

A young and very fit young woman who clearly had never given birth in her life was playing with a little boy, probably a month or so younger than the Captain. From her New Zealand flag tattoo I decided she was an English speaker. From there, I started feeling her out. How long has she been a nanny? How much work does she have? What day is she free? Whoop, there it is.

So today, for the first time in months, I got out for 2-1/2 precious hours all by myself. I decided to trim the bird's nest on my head and even sprang for the half hour leave in treatment. I have no idea what was in it, but dang if it didn't seep into my head and relax my brain as well as my hair. All-in-all, a very fine day for the Mediocre Mama.

The only pill that was a tad hard to swallow was watching my 56 euro haircut go to 76 euros once I'd paid the babysitter. I also realized all the hidden costs of the leave in treatment as I got tabbed for a hair washing, twice. Leave it to me to get hit with hidden fees like a typical stupid American. Frankly, I didn't care. When you are overworked on motherhood, it's funny how your brain forgets how to do new math the minute someone brings a little relaxation on a silver tray.

No comments: