Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ode to a Non-Mediocre Mother

This was just so good I had to share.

I got a call from my big sister yesterday, Jomama, and she had a wopper of a story. While spending a lovely afternoon on the beach with her 1 year old, nephew Number 2, she watched him dancing around the beach, picking up seashells and bottle caps. Oh, and a big ass knife. Did Jomama let him explore his universe and pick up the pretty object? Hell no. Like the un-mediocre mother she is, she ran toward the big ass knife and picked it up before he got there first. Good thinking, Jo. Despite Number 2's protests, Jomama chucked the item in her bucket and trotted up to the front desk at her beach club to complain about all the knives lying around on the beach.

Apparently her second good call of the day.

Jomama says - Look what I found lying on the beach.

Front desk lady says - Oh my god, the cops have been out with metal detectors and looking for that bad boy all day!

Turns out there was a little stabbing in the dark of night. Nice beach club. Jomama turns over the knife and is fully expecting to be contacted by the police.

I know that shit happens and naturally violent thugs are not going to keep our environment any safer, but it does make it that much harder to be a mediocre parent when folks are leaving knives around and screwing it up for the rest of us. Therefore, Jomama gets my first ever MeMo award, for getting off her ass in the nick of time to save Number 2. Kudos, babe.

2 comments:

JoMama said...

I resent being called a "non-mediocre mama." I'm extra mediocre. Anyway, I talked to the police and the knife was only used to puncture someone's lung, so it was really no big deal. I thought I had stumbled upon OJ's knife.

Amy B. said...

An update on the story from Newsday, incase anyone was wondering. http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lirobb0531,0,665878.story?track=rss The article seems to leave out the part where Jomama jumps in, wrestles the knife out of the thugs hand and yells out "you want a piece of me?"

MM