Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Prison break.


It's either age, dementia or kids (maybe even erectile dysfunction) that has gotten me to the point where I can't remember one friend's wedding from another. What once seemed so important and exciting has suddenly faded into distant memories that start with a big poofy dress and end with a big poofy cake. Such is the difference between being 20something and 30something. But when a weekend wedding means your first night alone with your husband in nearly two years, suddenly a wedding starts to look like a conjugal visit. It's just that memorable.


And so my conjugal visit begins this Friday at 5:30 when my flight takes off to Connecticut. Captain Kid gets to play pirate with the grandparents for the weekend. It gives us many questions to ponder...

  1. Will the Captain sleep through the night?

  2. What if he gets scared while I'm gone?

  3. What if he's hurt or confused and will my parents be able to comfort him?

If you answered "The Mediocre Mama doesn't give a shit," then you're right!


Oh, come now. Don't think badly of me. My parents raised me just fine and I doubt they can do very much damage over a 2 day period. Of course, there was the bad haircut they gave me as a kid. Not sure I ever recovered from that one...oh wait.


So now I go through the drama of what's going to fit my new post-mama figure and how will I survive a whole night in heels. Problems that seem rather insignificant compared with the bullshit minutia of my current everyday. And all I can do is smile and daydream about my 2 nights of freedom.


Yes, I believe this will be a wedding that I remember. Almost as much as the last wedding I attended...



5 comments:

K. said...

You're killing me the last few days with these hysterical blog entries. Have a fab weekend away - you deserve it, like no other!!! Thanks for your latest note too. Did you get my email about the nanny?

Kate

Amy B. said...

Holy smokes. Nanny? No...no info. I haven't even blogged on that drama. Please, any info would be great (though admittedly, my e-mail has been ill). Please send it again if you can. Thank you!

We should get together soon. My theory is we could spring baby monitors down the street and do a happy hour after the boys are down. Whatdaya think? ;-)

--MM

Anonymous said...

So, how did the kid do in your absence? Ours were fine, though the house did sustain a good bit of damage under the "watchful" eyes of the in-laws, and Aidan is now making us pay for returning and making him start acting like he's supposed to, i.e., not rude and disrespectful ALL the time, occasionally helping out, going to bed within an hour of bedtime, etc.

Anonymous said...

Frankly in our absence Bay did much better than when I'm around as the grandparents didn't drag him to restaurants and visit friends 'til the wee hours of the morning. He was probably disappointed when we came home. So what happens when new parents get away from the kids for the weekend: 5 drinks, 45 minutes. I have pictures that I can blackmail our crew with if anyone plans on running for office, I'll contact YouTube. Of course, why blackmail me amigos?
I may have read all the books, but I can't remeber them anymore than I can remember my password to my blog profile. It must be Bay's insistance on eating every 8 hours, even if 7pm plus 8 hoursh equals 3am.
- Melissa

Amy B. said...

The Captain could have cared less that I was gone and neither cried, cheered, nor otherwise acknowledged me when I came back. My Mama did stay several extra days beyond the trip, however, and it was obvious that by the end of her visit he had become suspicious when we walked out of the house without him. He was fine and spoiled rotten by the G-parents.

Just happy to have seen everyone and need to start plotting my next escape from parenting responsibilites.

--MM