Thursday, August 23, 2007

A sibling at the end of the rainbow?



Despite my constant self-doubt, and Deviant Dad's even greater self-doubt, as to whether I want another little Captain running around the house, last night there was a ray of hope. Last night was toddler school orientation. And what did I learn, or so you wonder? Captain Kid is going to soon be a well-behaved angel who sets his plate at lunch and cleans the floors and dishes whilst peeing and pooping on his potty and putting on his own clothes, brushing his hair, and doing floral arrangements on the side. He might even be finding the cure for cancer in his spare time...I'm not sure, they didn't cover the entire year's curriculum.


But "Teacher" did set out a very specific daily lesson plan, which starts with getting stripped down to diaper or underpants and a shirt, sitting on the potty (not all at once), a bunch of work, setting up for and preparing meals, cleaning, everyone get back in the potty, music time and finally outdoor play. I sheepishly raised my hand and asked how the hell Teacher was going to coordinate this dance. I mean, I know she's a professional and all, but what if she gets 9 little Captains in her class?


Incredulity aside, we're pretty damn excited. Not only because someone else will be reining in our diablito, but because starting Monday I get 3 hours of my day back to troll for a job. Or so I thought.


As it happens, the parents get homework too at his new school. Our homework involves 2 days a month of "voluntary" service, clipping out class work and whatnot. We don't get to be in the classroom, we're actually put to work in the main office. We bring snacks and projects for the kiddies, wash all the crudded up clothes and stuff when we're in on a Thursday, and Mondays we bring a bouquet of flowers for the wee ones to arrange. Am I going to be adorable or what?


So starting Monday, the Captain has his first day of school. And remarkably, so do I.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They should have a place like that to send boyfriends/husbands! Many men I know could benefit from a place like that =)

Amy B. said...

Montessori for men. I love it!

--MM